Tuesday 5 January 2010

The Work Continues

The work on my exhibition piece is going rather slowly. I took a tumble at the weekend, ending up flat on my bum. I felt everything concertina and now have a very sore back. I can’t sit at the computer for any length of time so this is being done in bits and pieces. I was so sore on Monday that my physio couldn’t get very close to me, so gave me some exercises and will see me first thing in the morning!

I have done a little sewing on the background of my piece, but I can’t manage the weaving. I’ll have to find a lower table to put my loom on, but I haven’t felt like doing much.

Before all this happened I found a great resource for embroidery stitches:

Sharon B's Dictionary of Stitches for Hand Embroidery and Needlework
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html

She has every stitch that has ever been sewn I think. Between the site and my many books I think I have worked out the embroidery I want to use. But I must get going on the weaving I have only about 3” done.

While the piece is an actual work in progress the design is also changing somewhat as I go along. It is always exciting to see how the creation will turn out. It’s a bit like this post, I was going to talk about something completely different but I guess that can wait for another time.

I bought a pen style needle felting tool and am thinking of adding some embellishment with that. I have been playing with some of the shibori silk off cuts and some wool fibre and some silk fibre. I found a bit more resistance to some of the silk. Anyway it is interesting, I am wondering if there is much difference in the over all effect between the needle tool and an embellisher machine?

Spread your Wings and Soar

Judy

No comments: