Wednesday 30 December 2009

Christmas Time



I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and all your dreams came true. Ours was very quiet but nice. This year has just flown by and December seemed to fly by about 10 times faster! One minute we were at the beginning of Dec, and I was thinking I had this and this and this planned for then, then and then (ggg if you follow me ggg), but all of a sudden it was Christmas week!!!

I am taking part in the Australian Textile and Surface Design Association’s Travelling Suitcase Exhibition “The Maharajah’s Garden” 2010 – 2012. The finished item needs to be in by Feb 1st! and a size of 40X60cm/15.7x23.6in. The basis of my design will be shibori, both dyed and shaped, with a strip of woven shaped shibori. My background fabric will be silk twill; I did some sampling with fine cotton.




The first photo shows the cotton all tied up, some areas have beads of different sizes and buttons. The lower area is stitched shibori.












The next photo shows the underneath.


















All tied up and dyed.








And underneath, and the next two show close ups of several areas.
























I have just finished tying up the silk twill, I hope to dye it today.

I also hope to get the very fine silk wound for the warp, later. Luckily I still have the end of the cotton warp on my sample loom from the Shibori workshop with Catherine Ellis I took last April. So I will tie the silk on to that. The weft will be silk and polyester. The polyester is needed to hold its shaped after it is steamed. It should only take a couple of days to weave. I will attach that to the silk and then quilt and embroider the top to batting and a backing. I am still trying to decide if I will do a pale base colour immersion dye first and then paint different colours on, or just paint the colour on! Seeing how the first or second dye goes, I may retie it and re-dye it again.

Well I’d better get off here and get working!


Spread your Wings and Soar

Judy

No comments: