Friday 9 February 2007

Thankyou for everyone’s kind words both here and privately.

I have fallen in Love – head over heels – in love!!!! And what is the object of my affection? Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby. It is lovely, it is well photographed, well written. It is full of inspiration for any textile artist or anyone who delights in a little luxury. Although not a frequent knitter of lace, (heck I keep away from knitting lace as much as possible, I do plain knitting, aran knitting, some colour work – but not lace ggg) out of the 36 patterns in the book there are only 2 that are not screaming for me to knit. I also found the information that Jane Sowerby presented on the history of lace very interesting and also very readable, making this book not just a pattern book but a reference one as well, and a great addition to the coffee table. It is a delight just to browse through the on location photos, the details of the scarves and stoles are detailed enough to see the actual knitted pattern. Then there is a section on how to understand lace and lace design, and charts, how to block, knit on a border design your own shawl/scarf. All in all this is a very inspiring book and not just another lace knitting book. It is a book I will treasure for many, many years to come.

Just to show that I have knitted at least one lace item, here is a photo of a stole I knitted last year from the XRX book on scarves, another great book.

















And this photo is one of free knitting, not quite traditional lace, but ……













This is my sample of weaving crocheting from my UKOnline guild crochet workshop.









Another of my babies














Spread your wings and SOAR



Judy

2 comments:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Awwwww such cute little (well, rather biggish maybe) kitties.

You will like lace. I'm making my third piece of it and it's been a LONG time since the last one. Very good review of the book and thanks. I'll have to go gander at it soon.

Nice to see you blogging. You will keep us entertained alright, with all that you do.

Anonymous said...

My only complaint about Victorian Lace Today is that I wish it included a photo of each piece laid out flat. I keep having to unwrap the pieces from around the models in my imagination.

Lovely kitties!

Sarah-Hope
www.whatifknits.com